Thursday, June 24, 2010

There Are No Foreign Lands, It Is the Traveler Only Who Is Foreign

Robert Louis Stevenson said those words more then a century ago, but it rings true to this day. The world is a small place at the end of the day, and it's the traveler who must take it upon themselves to get on the plane/train/boat/unicycle and make themselves familiar with the new surroundings. It's been my goal to do this for the last year and a half, and I've got quite the docket set up for myself in the next few months. Starting tomorrow and ending in mid-September, I have the following locations lined up:


Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
June 25-June 28


I'll be here for just a few short days attending the wedding of some very close friends. Most of Friday will be consumed with getting to Vancouver, Saturday is a full day of celebration for the wedding and the reception, which leaves only Sunday for any full fledged exploration. This will be my first foray into Canada, which seems interesting considering it's the closest foreign location to my home town and yet I've been to numerous locations half way across the globe before setting one foot here. I'll be doing a bit of research tonight to figure out how to make the best of my one day here.



North Canton, Ohio, United States of America
June 29 - July 2

Let me first state that I am absolutely thrilled that the most prominent image I could find of North Canton was this "down home" style Arby's sign. The Donut Connection sign in the background just provides icing on the cake that is Ohio. This will be just another trip in the long line of stops I've had to make in the Buckeye state. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the biggest fan of Ohio. I personally think it should be divided into two or three smaller states, though I'm sure that wouldn't cure the boredom I've experienced while there. Perhaps I need to branch out further and make sure I stay in a more interesting location in Ohio next time. This trip is work related though, so there isn't much choice in the matter. There does seem to be one interesting monument to a former US President. I'm hoping to make it there.



Tokyo/Kyoto/Hakone, Japan
July 9 - July 20


Japan, like Ohio, is another location you're most likely to find me in at least 2 or 3 times a year. This marks my first visit to the Land of the Rising Sun this year though. This trip is a mix of leisure and familial obligations; my mother has been living in Japan for a few months and has asked that me, my brother, and my sister make the trip across the Pacific to visit her. My father was in the military during the earlier years of my life, and Japan was essentially the only location we ever lived while I was a non-teenager. While I've been back to Japan quite a few times since, my brother and sister haven't set foot there since we left and this is their first major international trip. Excitement and planning is the theme here. I hope I make it through everything without anyone losing a passport.



New York City, New York, United State of America
Late July/Early August




My preferred air carrier, American Airlines, is running a promotion offering triple frequent flyer mileage AND triple elite qualifying miles for flights between Chicago (ORD) and New York's LaGuardia (LGA) until the end of August. I haven't blogged about the benefits of having elite status on an airline as of yet, but when I do you might have a better idea on why I am currently thinking that I'll be making a few short trips to New York City. While I've previously "been" to New York, I've never actually gone into the city. Most of my stops in New York entail a low key hotel room near JFK or LGA between flights. So with this massive incentive, I think I'll finally get a change to get into Midtown, see a Broadway show, or climb to the top of 30 Rock.


Ottumwa, Iowa, United State of America
August 16 - 20

Another work related trip. This will be my 2nd time in the great state of Iowa, and even though it admittedly has much less to do than Ohio, I found that I enjoyed my time here much more than I did in Dayton or North Canton. There's something very calm and peaceful about Iowa: the empty roads, the rows of corn, the people nodding their heads in silent greeting as you walk by. Ottumwa seems to be in the middle of nowhere, and considering the hustle and bustle I'll have in New York, Tokyo, and Vancouver it might be a welcomed relief.



Delhi/Agra/Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
September 3 - September 15


This is the trip that I'm probably the most excited about currently. I think everyone has a "dream" destination, the only spot in the world that has drawn your curiosity and fascination for the majority of your life. That spot for me has been India. I'm not 100% sure I can explain to you where my interest started, but I can confirm that for the better part of 10 years, I've been scheming of a way to get myself into the sub-continent. A stable job and some price tracking on flights finally made the dream a reality. Almost two weeks in India is a thought that both thrills and terrifies me. I'm thrilled to finally see some amazing things, taste some amazing food, and experience some amazing events. I'm also terrified of seeing, tasting, and experiencing some of those same things. Out of all the places I've been, India is most likely the least modernized and prepared for tourists. This will either be the experience of a life time, or a glass of cold water in the face.

So there you have it, my travel itinerary for the summer and early fall. These are the locations and sights you can look forward to seeing and reading about when my trip reports get published. I'm excited to see some new places and comforted to return to some old favorites. For now, I've got laundry to do and baggage to pack. It's off to Canada tomorrow!

Safe Travels,

Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment