Wednesday, June 16, 2010

De-doored during deplaning?

Even though I'm on an airplane more often then your typical individual, it might surprise a lot of people to know that I have a very deeply ingrained fear of heights. Elevators, tall buildings, balconies, you name it - I'm afraid of it, and you can definitely include flying on that list. As time goes by and I take more and more flights, that fear has reduced itself to a very manageable level. I know myself though, and I can guarantee you that from take off to landing on every flight I ever take, a little voice in the back of my head will be having a panic attack for the duration of the ride.

Nevertheless, what if the malfunction you fear is awaiting your plane isn't during the flight at all?

Passengers on American Airlines Flight 962 experienced just that recently when their plane landed safely at Dallas - Fort Worth (DFW) from Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU). The Boeing 777 pulled up to the jetbridge at Terminal D and its flight attendants opened the door to being to deplane the passengers. What happened next is still under investigation, but it appears one or both of the following things took place:

  • The pilot failed to appropriately park the aircraft.
  • The ground crew at DFW either inadequately or failed to chock the aircraft.

Regardless, the result was this:



According to the report the plane rolled backwards approximately 200 feet, its door ramming up against the jetbridge and eventually tore free from the aircraft. Luckily there were no reports of injuries among the crew, ground crew, and passengers.

I can only imagine if I was on that flight:

Standing up after almost 1/2 a day on an airplane to stretch my legs, I try to clear the flyer's fog out of my head while navigating the narrow aisle in an attempt to get to my carry on baggage and get off the plane in a reasonable amount of time. I take a moment to thank my lucky stars that I've made it through another flight without an incident.....

Only to suddenly feel the plane amble backwards 200 feet and hear what must have been the shockingly harsh sound of a Boeing 777's door being ripped off its hinges!

AA's spokesperson acknowledged the incident and stated it was still under investigation. My assumption would be that considering American Airlines only flies to a few select destinations with its 777s and that this one will be out of commission for a few days, the plane's crew and ground staff will have a lot of explaining to do.

Safe Travels,


Leo

Sources:

Star Telegram Sky Talk, Star Telegram Sky Talk

No comments:

Post a Comment